Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Advent Calendar

  This year I am going to TRY to pull off an Advent calendar with activities. I started with a blank calendar,and added things that are already in our normal routine.  Stuff like church events, band concerts, cheer,and wrestling practice. Well the calendar was pretty full before I started adding the fun stuff. Do you know how hard it is to come up with 25 things to do? Well it wasn’t the easiest thing I have ever done. As you all know I do not have a crafty bone in my body so I went to the store looking for an Advent calendar with pockets or those pull out drawers. I needed something to stick pieces of paper in. I found one at Target, it’s ok and was a lot cheaper than the one at Christian Supply. I ended up getting it,but I hope my crafty friend, Leigh, can pull something off for me:) I will gladly pay someone to be crafty for me! So here is a rough draft of the things my family will try to do. It may change a little depending on other Christmas get togethers.

  • new Christmas PJ’s
  • Barnes and Noble to get a new Christmas book
  • Miracle Hill to serve breakfast
  • family game night
  • watch Polar Express with hot cocoa/peppermint sticks
  • Lake Bowen Christmas Light
  • Camp out under Christmas tree
  • make white chocolate pretzels
  • homemade ice cream for Zoe’s birthday dinner
  • Boiling Springs parade December 10th at 10am ( Kain is marching in it)
  • carriage ride in Fountain Inn ( $7 for ages 10 and up, $ 5 for kids)
  • Woodruff parade December 11 @ 3:00
  • make a fire and roast marshmallows
  • make/decorate Gingerbread house
  • movie night- ELF with popcorn
  • Roper Mountain Christmas Lights
  • Lunch with mom
  • Kidzmas  at Spartanburg library ( December 17 5:00-8:00 FREE)
  • movie night- Miracle on 34th Street
  • make chex mix recipe I got from Leigh
  • Ice on Main ( $10 for adults, $8 for kids)
  • bake Christmas cookies and deliver them to great grandparents
  • swim center ( Friday or Saturday 3:30-5:30  $2.00 each)
  • read Christmas Story
  • bake Happy Birthday Jesus cake
  • Mobile Meals ( waiting to see if we can deliver meals one day while the kids are out) 

Wow, that looks like a lot doesn’t it? Hopefully we will be able to do all of them. It’s just hard when wrestling practice is twice a week,and it isn’t over until 8pm. Plus throw in a few more days of photo sessions,3 birthdays,and our anniversary! With all of that stuff we sometimes forget to enjoy the season. I am hoping this will make us slow down,and enjoy family time. If anyone has any other suggestions for ways we can serve please share them with me. I did not come up with all of this on my own. I borrowed a couple from Summer M, and Leigh:)

1 comment:

Leigh said...

Yay, yay, yay! I'm so glad you're going to do it!!! Just go for it! If you forget a day or have to skip - it's OKAY! Just keep going! Don't stop! I can't wait to see how much fun you guys have! :)